Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Beyond Browns

My friend Bruce creates beautiful works of art with his camera. Sometimes, when I just can't resist, he graciously agrees to let me interpret his photos with my pastels. I was inspired by this image of oak leaves near his home.
I had an idea for what I wanted to achieve involving a multiple step process. After coating the back of my acid free mat board with gesso, I applied 2 coats of white Art Spectrum Pastel Primer to the front surface in big loose brush strokes. This gave  me the tooth I needed to accept layers of pastel.
 I then applied a warm watercolor wash. I kept the strokes random and ended by splashing the surface to get even more texture. When this was dry, I began 'carving' out the leaves with my pastels. After completing the pastel painting, now it was time to create the metallic effect I had in mind. I masked out all but the top right leaf and lightly sprayed it with a fine mist of water. I immediately sprinkled bronze metallic powder pigment there. After drying naturally, I masked all but the large leaf across the bottom. This I lightly sprayed and sprinkled with a touch of gold metallic powder. I'm pleased to say this painting is just what I envisioned since first seeing Bruce's image.

To purchase please contact
brenda@brendaferguson.com

1 comment:

Stephanie Berry said...

Beautiful!! Nice the way you showed the process too.