Friday, July 29, 2011

Out of Line

There's one in every crowd!
I had fun experimenting with this next series of stones. I began with an under painting of three different colors, Cadmium Yellow, Cad Orange and Cad Red.

This first painting had the Cad Yellow toned panel. I began with the background in a warm gray color leaving the stones untouched.


Then I used my fan brush and several different colors of paint diluted with mineral spirits to splatter the sandy textured background.

And on to the stones themselves to finish the painting.

Here's a detail.
Great fun. Thoroughly enjoyed this. The next installment tomorrow...
Oil on panel, 5" x 5"
SOLD

4 comments:

The Muse of The Day said...

You make it sound so simple. I finally tried the oils. I was outdoors. What an ungodly mess! Carolina

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Well, I just adore the finished painting! I love painting stones - I think either you do or you don't! And thank you for sharing your process - I usually use transparent colors for my toning - now I'm inspired to use the cads, too. Wonderful. Thanks!

p.s. word verification: munch.... what are they trying to tell me, I wonder?

Kathy Mallat said...

Lovely, and so arresting, Bren. Fun to see your process, too. Almost like watching you paint. Almost. ;)

Carol Blackburn said...

Nice of you to show your process, Brenda. Very interesting. The stones came out wonderfully.