Sunday, December 2, 2012

Studio Open House

Yesterday was our annual Studio Open House.
The day was perfect with just a few flurries falling adding to the festive holiday spirit.

As always, I've been preparing for weeks. Cleaning, clearing, organizing, decorating and hanging over two hundred new paintings.

Here are a few of the displays.
My studio - (above and below)
 
The hallway -

The 'pig wall' in the bedroom -
It's fun choosing these small vignettes for each wall section.

And of course the porcelain pig herself.

I was very excited to offer a new item this year. A 2013 desk calender of my art. Twelve months of color. We sold out!

There was mulled cider warming on the wood stove and a variety of wines for those who preferred. We snacked on sugared almonds, various cheeses and gingerbread cookies baked by our local high school culinary training program. 

All afternoon, both upstairs and down, the house was FULL and loud and fun!

Midway through the event, we held the much anticipated drawing and gave away a free painting, Christmas Spirits. (Our daughter Sadie did the honors)

This year's winner is Neil! Some of you may recognize him...he won a couple of years ago, too! 

It was truly a grand afternoon...filled with music, art and friendship...we even had elves!

From all of us Fergusons (Molly, Lucas, me, Doug and Sadie) ~
to all of you who came from far and near to share in this day with us,
thank you for your support, your encouragement and the invaluable part you play in life's unfolding adventure.
With heartfelt gratitude,
Bren 

(Thanks to Kyle and Lucas for the images)

~ Some brief thoughts from the previous day...
My Thoughts the Day Before the Annual Exhibition

Such a nice brisk day!
Got out for a bit late this afternoon
to gather some pine, spruce and cedar boughs
for arrangements in pitchers and vases.
No poinsettias this year;
they're poisonous to animals
and my cat eats all my plants.
I like the natural look better.

I'll do some write-ups 
to post alongside each painting group
with thoughts and inspirations.
It will take awhile.
They're all drafted at least but
I have to type/print/cut and put up.

I made candied almonds this afternoon.
The house smells good. All is clean,
all paintings hung and lit,
just the finishing touches with food,
last minute things. I'll choose music
and more tomorrow.
Four dozen gingerbread men
are being made this afternoon
by the chefs at United Tech Center.

I'll finish up,
spa in the frigid night air,
watch a bit of the Celtics game,
and drop

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

This is such a lovely event for you to host each year! It looks very well attended and like everyone enjoyed it. Your paintings look fabulous hanging in groups! Wish I lived close enough to come!

Susan Roux said...

Looks like a great time! I've never hosted an open studio. It seems with all my weekly students, my house is always an open studio! ...without sales.

Kathy Mallat said...

Thanks for the wonderful visuals, Bren. It appears as though your home and the day was as festive as always! Lucky are those who left with a piece of your bright, bold, beautiful art in hand! What better way to kick off the holiday season!