Monday, April 15, 2013

Softness of Spring

I found this little 'pot' at a thrift store. It's supposed to hold a votive candle I think but it's perfect for this sprig of pussy willows. I like the colors in this one.
Oil on panel, 6" x 6", $100 + $10 domestic shipping
 
or contact brenda@brendaferguson.com
When I posted this last night I completely forgot I had some photos of the process to share. Here they are.
This is the simple set up I was working from with the indirect natural light coming from the window.


I used a red hard pastel to get the placement of the vase and pussy willow on my black panel. I wiped most of it off with a paper towel leaving the light guidelines I needed.

 Already I see errors in the vase, but I'm not concerned. I'll work those out as I go along. I want to get the darks in first here since, in this composition,  there are really no lighter areas that will be compromised.

Continuing to lay in areas of paint and working on placing lights and darks to convey the transparency of the vase.

Working on refining the shape of the vase and laying in the cloth.















 

I've added the stem and softened the shadow here.


 The background has been added and still making revisions on the vase.

This is where I add those final touches of drama....the lightest highlights, darkest darks and perhaps some subtle bits of unexpected color.







2 comments:

Bruce Bingham said...

I love pussy willows! I haven't seen one in ages, since I left the states. Love how you used the turquoise in them.

suzanneberry said...

beautifully done my friend! your painting makes the willows sing! that highlight on them is perfect.