Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Whisper of Spring

I really had fun with this one. I sometimes struggle with keeping my flowers light but am pleased with the delicacy this time. It's one of those paintings where I achieved what I envisioned.
I also tried something a bit different. My friend Suzanne Berry recently told me she pre-mixes her paints before beginning a piece and loves the freedom it allows once she starts the painting process. I gave it a try. These were the piles of paint I mixed up before beginning.
Though I misjudged how much paint I'd use (I over mixed), I enjoyed just being able to focus on the painting and will try it again at some point. Scroll down to see the painting process.
Oil on panel, 6" x 6"
SOLD
I lightly sketched in the placement of the branch with a white Nupastel  and applied the lightest paint colors.

Then I just continued building up layers of color...with a light touch! First the warm petals...

...then the cool shadows.




5 comments:

Angeli said...

Brenda,
I love the softness of this painting and the beautiful colors. It would make a lovely wallpaper!
Happy painting today.
Angeli

Marla K said...

Absolutely stunning!

Art Maine said...

Whispers Whispering
Oh sweet magnolia,
with your nearby
blossoms present,
announcing the arrival
of spring, sweet
delicate pink,
so glad you
brushed by,
sigh.

suzanneberry said...

beautifully done my friend! ethereal, lovely. the brushwork and subtle hint of light and shadow are wonderful!

and thanks for the plug. i'd like to thank whoever it was that suggested keeping the mixed containers in the freezer! UREKA! they keep indefinitely!

again, one of my favorites, just so lovely!

Wendy Barrett said...

This is simply stunning Brenda! I love everything about it!